Do you run into traffic jams everyday driving to and back from work? Ted.com recently released a talk by Jonas Eliasson who explained how charging a small fee for driving during rush hours can dramatically reduce travel time.
Basis of the study:
- Eliasson and his team started charging 1-2 euros each day for driving during rush hours
- 20% fewer vehicles on the road the next day
- Traffic and number of vehicles are non-linear so a 20% drop resulted in far faster travel time
- Roads went from bumper to bumper to nearly empty
- 40% of citizens were against the fee initially but 70% had a change of heart once the roads opened up